Friday

My First, Repeating, Hammerless, Slide Action Shotgun

Soon after we relocated to Minnesota, I began exploring, quickly realizing how remarkably wet Minnesota is. Living in a puddled milieu, I decided to try duck hunting.


During my third season of duck hunting, while with my wife’s cousin, I realized my single-shot shotgun was not suitable for duck hunting. This time, my shotgun fired, discharged spontaneously or prematurely, before the gun was fully shouldered, while I was attempting an overhead shot at a goose. This caused the gun’s exposed hammer spur or top release lever to enter my hand, tearing through the webbing of my right hand, pushing a lot of internal tissue into a big painful lump and badly bruising my thumb joint. I had to wrap my hand and proceed to the hospital for x-rays, exams and then some stitches/sutures.



I contacted the gun's manufacturer and they asked to examine my gun. I sent the gun in and they later called me and said the gun was defective, having a very low trigger pull weight, possibly under a pound. They offered me a replacement gun of the same type even though I hinted to them that I wish I had a gun without an exposed hammer spur or top release lever. When I received the replacement gun of the same type, with an exposed hammer spur and top release lever, I immediately took this gun to the store to trade and apply towards the purchase of a gun without an exposed hammer spur or top release lever. This is how I came to have my first hammerless, repeating, slide action shotgun.



Defective Ammunition:
I began the following duck season with the same box of ammunition I was using when I was injured. Even with a new, heavy, repeating shotgun, this ultra-high velocity ammunition was frightening and discouraging; producing uneasiness and erratic results. I suspected something was wrong with this ammunition and returned it to the manufacturer for testing. This ultra-high velocity ammunition revealed too high a pressure during testing and I received a refund.


About my old, previous gun with an exposed hammer spur and top release lever:
I figured out that while I was standing in water, I naturally shouldered the gun for overhead shots by lifting the gun somewhat vertically with the barrel pointed up (to tip the barrel down might put it in the water). This places an exposed hammer spur & top release lever directly over the webbing of one’s thumb and hand. When my gun fired before it was fully shouldered, with the highest power waterfowl load, injury to my hand resulted by the exposed hammer spur or release lever. I still suffer pain from this injury. For this, I will never use or furnish a gun with an exposed hammer spur or top release lever.

Update:
Here is a photograph of someone else’s injury caused by an Exposed Top Release Lever. This injury was to the left hand while firing a double barrel shotgun. This person lives in the southeastern United States and is one of the few persons to report an Exposed Top Release Lever injury online.I asked this person’s permission to republish this photograph, waited patiently, and finally received permission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exsactly how that feels. Never fire A double barrel 12 from the hip, or any firearm for that matter. ;opps